Sunday, October 14, 2012

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH 'BARN SALES'!

You'd think I'd have my fill of Barn Sales, Junk Events, Occasional Sales, or whatever else offers a chance to peruse my favorite pastime - looking for junky finds!! NOT YET! On Saturday I joined the throngs of junkoholics at an occasional Barn Sale over near Holland, IA. It's an event held monthly that I've been wanting to go to for ages! It wasn't a very nice day weather wise, though! Heavy rain earlier in the morning and high winds. Oh, well! Adverse conditions have never stopped me before! Had I known I'd be traveling over gravel roads - now that's another thing altogether! Rain + gravel roads = mud on the truck! Not a fan of either one!!
Two tone truck - red & mud!


I started out going very slow, trying to be careful so only the bottom part of my truck would get dirty. But when an on-coming vehicle whizzed by showering me with a full-blown mud bath, I figured what the hey - might as well chuck that idea and hurried on down the road! GOOD GRIEF! I was horrified at how badly the truck looked! Like I'd been 4-wheelin' on the back roads!

Anyhoo.... my anticipation of getting to the farm was somewhat dampened by the mud all over my truck, but it was soon regained full force when I saw all the displays of old farmhouse furnishings and fall decor!! Many vendors filled several outbuildings with their vast assortments of items. Colorful pumpkins, some with bumpy, peanut-like growths all over, and brilliant colored gnarly gourds covered the ground around one vendor. She had some gorgeous magenta cockscomb, too, that looked like soft velvety ruffles.

Then I finally made my way to the BARN!




It was like eye-candy everywhere I looked! Outside there was an eclectic mix of rusty, crusty metal things, vintage outdoor furniture, farm tables, old fence gates, old bikes and a bench made from an old headboard. The main level had nice displays of painted furniture pieces incorporating home decor accessories, neat old windows, pendant lights made from galvanized metal farm items, old garden gates, stacks of vintage suitcases in every nook and cranny, chippy painted shutters, and lots of big decorative picture frames waiting to become something unique and fun!





Sorry - bad cell phone photo!

Upstairs was chock full of more stuff! Several vendors had their own areas where they displayed their vast array of fabulous finds! So many things to see! These gals are so very creative and talented! Snuggled back in the corner was a cute little lunch counter that served pannini's and a scrumptious variety of cupcakes! I resisted the temptation to taste, but they looked absolutely decadent! My waistline will thank me for my utmost control!

In case you were wondering - Yes, I did buy something - another project to work on! Which you will hopefully see soon - or as soon as I figure out how to get the vision of what I want to do, to actually turn INTO what I want! You know what I mean?

I can't think of a better way to spend a damp Saturday afternoon! Do you have a favorite fun-filled pastime?

Happy Trails to You Until We Meet Again!

XOXOX

No comments:

Post a Comment