Saturday, August 24, 2019

Friends and a dainty little secretary desk!

I feel very fortunate and blessed to have so many good friends - you know, the kind that will always be there for you through thick and thin, the ones you can spill your heart out to, and best of all, the ones you get together with lots of laughter and have a great time whether it's rockin' at a concert or just hangin' out!

This looks like a FUN BUNCH of friends!
 
I've got friends that know how much I love a 'junky find' and they'll contact me to let me know where it's at! Recently, I was informed about an antique secretary leftover from an estate sale - and it had to be picked up that day! So, away I went to claim it before it was gone!

 
Here it is BEFORE:
It's got pretty good 'bones' - and it has the original key!
(although the lock doesn't work!)
It just needs some TLC! 
(Ha! Like that ever happens!)
 
 I think there used to be a decorative back piece on top.
Wonder what happened to it??

 

Inside cubby hole compartment for holding letters
and things is missing - hmmm...
 
And, the drop front desk part was damaged and
 held in place with stripped-out screw holes!
 
THAT could be a REAL PROBLEM!!
(remember those TLC words?)
 
 
Well, I created a new top piece for it....
 
Not knowing what the original top piece looked like,
 I went with a simple design
 (due to my level of construction knowledge!).
The wood finish was in pretty bad shape,
but I wanted to retain some of the
original appeal to this piece.
Due to the new wood top being
a different type of wood
I decided to paint the top and sides
a soft robin's-egg blue
to compliment the walnut color of the wood.
 
Of course it needed a little 'bling' to dress it up!
So I added wallpaper to enhance the interior backing!
This print has a lightly distressed floral design
that gives it the vintage look I was looking for!
 
 
Here's how it turned out!
The stripped-out screw holes for the
desk top did  pose a problem
cause me to pull my hair out!
 I'm still trying to find the right process
to correct that before I put it up for sale.
 
I think it would be the perfect
 accent piece to any décor!
You might even want to start
 writing letters, again!
 


XOXO



No comments:

Post a Comment