Thursday, September 5, 2019

Fall - ish

I usually have more than one project in the works at a time. I work on one while paint is drying on another piece - sounds kinda boring, doesn't it! - and then there's those projects that come to a complex point that I have to ponder over, so it helps to tackle something else! Most of the time, different scenarios run through my mind to remedy the issue and I can continue on.
As with ...

The tall antique cabinet with the glass inset doors.
 
The original piece had swivel hinges which
were missing many parts.
After fruitless efforts to find replacements,
 I thought perhaps
regular door hinges might work -
 which would require some adjustments
to the doors - as in: cutting
the doors to make them narrower!
 
 
 
Since I have no table saw,
 (and I know who does!)
I loaded the cabinet and doors into my truck
and hauled them out to  ask talk Richard
into figuring out
how it could be done!
 
Being the "Mr Fix - anything" kinda guy he is,
he had it figured out in no time, put hinges on
and voila! now the doors are on and I'm
ready to finish up this piece!
So, I loaded it back into the truck and brought
it back to my garage!
(I've gotta stop finding these heavy things!) 
 

Back at my garage, I'm ready to paint the
entire piece,
sand it down, and apply a wax sealer.
It's looking more like I envisioned it!

The original shelves were pretty rough looking
- like they used any old warped pieces
of wood they could find!
 
I decided I'll put in new wood shelves.
I wanted it to look fresh and neat.
The exterior has a very distressed look -
which I did on purpose -
due to the condition of the wood.
It'll be perfectly-imperfect!
I'll post photos of the final debut!
 
*************
 
 
I have a love of old antique
dressers with mirrors.
I found this one at the thrift store!
So many mirrors have
been lost or broken
but this one was intact.
 
BEFORE:
It needed some TLC!
I stripped off the old varnish finish,
got new hardware for the
mirror harp,
and new drawer pulls to
compliment the new
stain and paint accent color.
 
AFTER:
I chose a lighter wood stain
and a beautiful
dark teal color to accent
the trim and the mirror frame.
 
Side view of the dresser.
 
The porcelain knobs
add a unique and
perfect color combo.
 
*************
 
In between working on larger projects, I create some
smaller things with items that have been waiting
 to be started or pieces that need to be used up!
 
Having one left-over old shutter
from previous projects,
I turned it into a
 chalkboard/message holder.
 
 
An old door screen I got at the
NE Junk Jaunt last year
still needed to be turned into
something useful..
Not knowing exactly what
to do with it, I
thought I'd try to paint
something fall-ish
on the screen!
 I took it up to my condo
where it was easier
to work on!
 
And came up with this!
It could be a great
addition to a porch fall décor!
 
 
Here's something I threw together
using some old barbed wire
and a plaster cast of
antlers and flowers
that were just waiting
to be paired together!
I embellished it with artificial
succulents and bright poppies.
It's kind of rustic/vintage looking!
 
Keep checking back in
to see what's going on
in my 'junky' life!
 
Until next time - be happy!
 
 
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment